Well, today is the day folks. Today marks the twentieth year of life and I have to admit: it is pretty wonderful. I quite like this living gig I have going on. Everything seems to be (more or less) falling into place and that is lovely. The sun is out, the sky is blue and the seagulls have decided to leave me alone for the day. I count those things as a major victory in my life…and in late April. Usually it is absolutely freezing by now.
Today has been the perfect day.
I arrived home late last night to a feijoa cake, coffee and a group of adults who had clearly been drinking since the wee hours in the evening. If anyone knows my heart, they would know that it belongs to feijoas and anything feijoa related. One day I am going to own a property that is covered in feijoa trees. After some cake, coffee and cuddles I dragged myself to bed and snuggled with my MacBook until the wee hours of the morning. Romantic ;]
Boys Men, take notes. It is not chocolate and roses that will win my heart but coffee and a bag of feijoas. A cwtch or two doesn’t go astray either.
Today I have been relaxing around home; eating more feijoa cake, chocolate, consuming coffee by the gallon and just being lazy. It has been brilliant and exactly what I needed. Back to university tomorrow so I have to conserve all the energy I can. Only six more weeks. That’s what I keep telling myself. Six more weeks until no more university in this country. Woah.
In light of my levelling up in the adult world, I thought I would list a few things I have learned in my grand two decades.
- Be with those who help your being.
- You definitely cannot please everyone.
- Love yourself.
- Your parents aren’t the devil incarnate and they do know what they’re talking about (really).
- Make mistakes.
- High school does not prepare you for college/university.
- It is quite possible that you will always have some sort of feelings for that first love.
- Words don’t define people, actions define people.
- Attitude matters.
- Comparison is the thief of joy.
- It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
- Dedication matters. Dedication to yourself, to your education and to the most important people in your life.
- No one really knows what they’re doing. It’s okay.
- Things can change in the blink of an eye.
- A sister is the best friend you can have.
- If you can’t help, at least don’t hurt them
- You are who you are, and you are beautiful.
- Do more of what you love.
- Stand up for what you believe in.
I can’t believe twenty years have been and gone. It has flown by. There is truth in the saying of the days go slow but the years go fast. The first twenty years have been amazing so I can only imagine that the next twenty will be even better.
And on a totally unrelated note: I have found an awesome new website! It is called Tiny Buddha and I quite like everything I have read on there. You should definitely have a look around on it if you are so inclined 🙂